We feel passionate that no one can personally own the earth, and if many people pitch in small amounts, we can establish shared spaces for people to care for one another.
The Peoples Project invites all those who are part of the larger global movement of sustainability, collective action, and intentional community to join together to create a new beautiful, shared, ecologically friendly space in Celina, Tennessee. This land would be a part of the Permaculture Mutual Aid Network to facilitate resource sharing, permaculture practices, and disaster relief in the form of mutual aid.
Click the link above for more information on how to support this project.
Cob Building in Missouri
THE STORY : A group of about twenty Permaculture Mutual Aid Network participants caravanned to an off-grid intentional community in Missouri for a day of cob building in early May 2021. There were three people currently living at this community, so the labor involved in cob building was an overwhelming task. But in order to expand their housing to host more people, it was a job that had to be done. By creating this influx through a facilitated working group, the Permaculture Mutual Aid Network acted as a catalyst so that this community could house more people in the future. A traveling caravan also helps to organize and connect people to places in a fun and in-person way. Two members of the caravan who resonated with the project requested to stay at this community, and they remained as the caravan moved along to the next location. The Permaculture Mutual Aid Network aims to continue to promote social regeneration for intentional communities or other forms of sustainable land projects.
HOW ITS MADE: The participants of the Permaculture Mutual Aid Network also gained hands on earth building experience. We learned that cob is made through a mixture of clay, sand, water, and a bit of straw. We were able to source the clay and sand on site and create our cob mixture by stomping the materials together and folding the mix over with a large tarp. We used the cob to insulate the inside of an already existing structure, adding to the floor and walls handful by handful.
The purpose of the network is to connect communities and working groups with similar goals and values to facilitate: permaculture practices; resource sharing; disaster relief in the form of mutual aid; and holding safe space.
The purpose of Permaculture Mutual Aid spaces is:
- To act as a network hub open to participants in the network, specifically traveling disaster relief, and permaculture groups
- To be a launching/staging platform for disaster response
- To be a space to facilitate gardening/permaculture
- To provide storage for equipment and resources used in disaster relief
- To be a resting place for participants in the permaculture mutual aid network
- To be a resting place for those involved in disaster relief efforts
- To be a safe, sober, kid-friendly, family-friendly, non-discriminatory space
- To be a working space for participants in the permaculture mutual aid network
In these spaces, participants of the Permaculture Mutual Aid Network could:
- Build basic infrastructure for storage of materials to use during disaster
- Rest and recoup
- Construct compost toilets
- Institute water systems
- Build and operate an outdoor kitchen
- Create gardens and plant food forests
- Engage in various permaculture and mutual aid projects with consent from the greater community including…
- Help with chores and land projects
- Construction of infrastructure (kitchen, stage, infrastructure)
- Composting / Soil building systems
- Setup of water systems (catchment, filtration)
- Permaculture design ideas & support
- Facilitating social permaculture workshops
- A Circus of Purpose experience or event
We are dedicated to establishing and maintaining relationships with communities and individuals that are symbiotic. We want to be in clear communication of our needs and your expectations.
If you are interested in working with us or have any questions, please let us know and we will be happy to provide more details concerning what we can offer.